Thursday 16 September 2010

Pinhole cameras

Making the pinhole camera

The first project we had been set was to create a pinhole camera, we then took photos using our pinhole camera, after wards we developed them in the dark room.

To make our pinhole camera you had to bring in either a box or tin; I brought in a tin as I believed this would be more light proof. (The tin would act as the cameras body) 
 Next, I drilled in the side of the tin; this was then later covered with tin foil. I then painted the inside of the tin and the inside lid of the tin black; doing this meant that the light would not reflect onto the photographic paper, resulting in a blurred mark on the photo.



I then had to work out what the f-stop would be for my pinhole camera-


Distance from pinhole to photographic paper=185 (mm) divided by Diameter of pinhole= 0.8 (mm) 
After I worked that out I found out that the exposure time for inside was 15 minutes and the exposure time for outside was 3 minutes. (This was however a rough estimate)

The piece of foil I had prepared earlier was then placed over the hole that i drilled, once this was complete I used a pin to create a whole in the foil. Afterwards I had to make a flap that covered the pinhole, this was so that once I had exposed the pinhole of the camera to the light I would then be able to cover it so the photographic paper did not get over exposed to the light. It took me several attempts to get a photo, this was because the timings were either to long so the photo turned out over exposed, or to short so the photo was underexposed. On my last attempt though I finally managed to create a photo; I left my pinhole camera for 5 minutes outside, this was a lot less of a shorter time than I had previously estimated.

In the dark room

I then had to develop my pictures that I had taken. I had to remove my photographic paper from the pinhole camera then place the paper in a chemical for 30 seconds, then the photo was rinsed off in water, next the photo was put into another chemical for 5 minutes and once again had to be rinsed off; after all of this the paper was put into a machine that dried off the photo. Sadly the photo did not come out as I would of hoped; I believe this happened as I over exposed the photo paper to the light.


Flat bed scanner

 The flat bed scanner is the most appropriate machine when it comes to scanning nearly any flat image. The scanner has to be completely clean if not even the slightest piece of dirt, or finger print could ruin the image that you want to scan. 

Scanner


The scanner is used to digitally copy an image. A photocopier works in exactly the same way as a scanner with the exception that you can also print your image. Once my image had been scanned  i then sent it to my email address, I then decided what i would do with my image; i used Photoshop on my image to make it look more interesting. The quality of the scanner can sometimes vary the quality of the final image.  

Using Photoshop 

I inserted my image from my email address to Photoshop then using the image bar I then clicked on adjustments,  I then clicked on invert, this then changed my picture from positive to negative.   




Research



















Links for research
http://www.pinhole.nl/

History of the pinhole camera

Pinhole photography is a lens less photograph. The small pinhole made replaces the lens, the pinhole camera can be used for art and also for the purpose of science; in the recent centuries the use of a pinhole camera was used by optical scientists in various experiments to study sunlight projected from a small aperture.
Sir David Brewster is a Scottish scientist; he was one of the first to make pinhole photographs, in the 1850’s.  

We began with the simple pinhole camera instead of a digital one as this is because we would learn the basic parts of the camera and also so that we had an understanding of how they work.




1 comment: